Diarrhea is a common gastrointestinal disease, in which the large intestine is unable to soak up the additional amounts of water and the body must get rid of it through the process of diarrhea.
If your body releases watery stools frequently and you’re experiencing stomach pain, then we might be talking about acute diarrhea. Most commonly it lasts for a week or two, while chronic cases can continue for several weeks. To diagnose yourself with diarrhea you must be experiencing watery stools three or more times in a 24-hour period. Even though that it’s quite unpleasant, this condition allows the body to throw away the harmful substances before they cause any damage.
Symptoms vary depending on the form of the disease as chronic diarrhea is a bit different. It can come quickly and then disappear in a matter of days as it’s influenced by the person’s lifestyle. For example, high levels of stress or weakened immune system can greatly affect the person. If the person doesn’t treat the situation appropriately, the disease can cause nutrient deficiency and other issues. Of course, there are tested home remedies for diarrhea that might be just the right solution for your situation.
What triggers diarrhea
Diarrhea is the natural reaction of the body to infections, toxins, bacteria, parasites and microbes in the digestive system. It also dehydrates the body, which could make you feel worse if you’ve already been sick. The reason behind that is because the body releases minerals, sodium and electrolytes.
- Visiting the toilet over two times a day and experiencing watery stools
- Cramps, abdominal pain and bloating
- Weight loss and lack of appetite.
- The frequent visits to the bathroom lead to dehydration
- Dehydration symptoms include dizziness, stomach pain and brain fog.
To determine how to prevent this condition from happening again, then you’ll need to learn the reasons that cause it. Dehydration, illnesses and spoiled food are only a few of the things that can cause it. It’s important to note that adults, children and infants experience different symptoms and the causations might be quite distant.
We made a slight research to determine what can cause this disease within adults and the results were quite interesting:
One of the most common reasons is food poisoning. For example, lactose intolerance is the most popular reason that causes the disease. The problem with it is that it can appear unexpectedly at any time throughout your life.
The most important lesson we’ve taken as keen adventurers is always to keep fresh water in the backpack. Drinking contaminated water with parasites or bacteria can cause serious issues that could lead to severe pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
Also, if you don’t drink enough water throughout the day or your body loses too much through vomiting or other illnesses, the dehydration can cause stomach problems.
Digestion issues such as inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease or irritable bowel syndrome are also an important factor that might influence your condition.t
Medical individuals always warn to keep an eye of our hygiene, especially when it comes to our hands. Bacterias can be passed from person to person or they get attached when you touch contaminated surfaces, which could lead to a bacterial infection.
As you might already know, some supplements and medications such as lactulose, antibiotics and colchicine can also cause this problem. Overconsumption of vitamin C, magnesium and some other vitamins also lead down the same road
Common Treatments for Diarrhea
Don’t worry or run to the nearest doctor if you don’t happen to go more than twice a day to the bathroom for more than two weeks. In most cases, they recommend two of the following:
- Diet: Individuals who suffer from chronic diarrhea often go on a diet to determine which foods are problematic for their organism. For the purpose, they must go through an elimination diet, which means to avoid certain foods to see whether your condition will improve.
- Medications: Yes, almost all drugs will prevent the symptoms quickly, but that’s not beneficial for our bodies. It’s the body’s natural mechanism to protect itself from microbes. That’s why, most, doctors recommend going through the whole disease without the use of medications.
Home Remedies for Diarrhea
First of all, you need to start eating only light foods that are easy to absorb. At first, you won’t have much of an appetite, so try to spread your meals throughout the whole day.
Fruits & vegetables are also highly nutritional for your body and you must focus on them. You can make yourself a smoothie with fruits as they don’t require additional efforts to consume. Many believe that honey and a ginger root added to your tea can also cure your stomach, so it’s worth trying it.
Just like anything else, there are certain foods that you must avoid at any cost.
- Allergens: as we’ve already mentioned, you must be aware of the foods you put in your body as they’re the main factor for this disease
- Dairy products: Studies have found that processed dairy products can cause sever stomach problems. Of course, naturally made yogurt is rich in probiotics if it doesn’t go under any procedures.
- Fat and oil: If you consume foods high in processed fats and oils, then your intestines will be irritated.
- Sugar: We highly recommend staying away from sugars too because they slow the immune system down considerably
It is of extreme importance to keep your body hydrated constantly. Every doctor will make it clear that drinking enough water is crucial for the way our bodies operate. When you have diarrhea, it’s necessary to drink water frequently to fix the situation. Some people have water consumption problems, that’s why they can replace it with vegetable juice or coconut water.
In case any of the above options don’t solve the problem, then you might need the help of supplements. Consuming them might ease the pain in the area, allowing you to consume food easily.
- Probiotics – the best way to fight infections is by taking probiotics to help the healthy bacteria inside you.
- Digestive enzymes – used before meals to allow seamless nutrient absorption
- Glutamine – this is an amino acid that helps the digestive tract in its repairing processes.
- Aloe Vera – Drinking aloe vera juice will help your body greatly in the breaking down of food to nutrients.
Generally speaking, diarrhea is one of the most common diseases that happens to everyone in the world. It occurs when your bowel movements become very loose and frequent. As we’ve already noted, there are several factors that cause the problem such as dehydration, infections, stress and so on. To prevent it from happening again, then you’d need to consider consuming more fluids, healthy food and getting enough sleep. Most importantly, never hesitate to visit the doctor in case the situation becomes worse than before.